Sunday, December 06, 2009

Bright young men without philosophical prudence?

At lunch the other day, I was watching Peter Orszag on C-Span. He's the White House Budget Director and clearly has a stellar academic and professional resume. Watching him interact with the press on the question of health care reform, however, I got the uneasy feeling that I was watching a pleasant young man with no sense of the big picture, by which I mean a picture that includes more than economic factors and math. I could be wrong, but I wonder whether he even knows what a "world view" is, or whether he could name and compare a few. He smiled continuously, but appeared unable or unwilling to effectively field questions touching on differences of underlying premises in health policy. Anyone know anything about this guy?

No comments: